Archive for February, 2012
There are a number of issues in motion on this topic (POP is IN ACTION) …We are rallying together to preserve our access to PURE ORGANIC FOODS and to choose vibrant health for our inner AND outer environment, as well as educating the masses, policy makers and congress on these issues… it’s time to take the “sneakiness out” of labeling.
You can make a big difference NOW by taking actions below… make a call and fax a letter …and please donate to POP to continue all these efforts.
Also, check out this signed copy of the GE Congressional Dear Colleagues letter for a Bicameral Letter to the FDA Here and see a list of Kucinich Bills and co-sponsor tallies below.
What can you do to help?
A. Phone Calls: Tell him or her that you want mandatory labeling on ALL genetically engineered (or GMO) foods.
– Remind them this is a Non-partisan issue and is important to you and your family.
– This is simply truth in labeling – consumers, including you, have the right to know.
– He/she needs to Co-sponsor HR 3553 (Kucinich –see below)
– There is currently a Dear Colleague letter from Senator Boxer and Congressman Defazio asking for signatures on a Bicameral letter to the FDA supporting the Citizens Petition on mandatory labeling – please support this and sign it.
– More than 20 groups and thousands of citizens have sent a Citizens Petition to the FDA asking for mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods – consumers are concerned.
B. Fax Your Follow-up Letter: The most impact is following up your call with a short letter faxed – see the bicameral colleague letter below – and an example of a letter:
To Your Senator
The Honorable (full name)
Room # ( ), Senate Office Building
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator (name):
To Your Representative:
The Honorable (full name)
(Room #)House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
The Honorable (Name):
I am writing to tell you that I want mandatory labeling on ALL genetically engineered (GE/GMO) foods. This is a simple truth in labeling concern where every consumer should have the right to know clearly what he or she is buying. This is as important to my family as I am certain it is to yours. This is a non-partisan issue.
I am asking that you
1. Sign the Dear Colleague letter from Senator Boxer and Congressman Defazi for a bicameral letter to the FDA to require mandatory labeling and support the Citizens Petition; and,
2. Support and cosponsor HR 3533 Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act (Kucinich – see below) and any similar Senate Bill that might be introduced.
There have been thousands of concerned citizen and over 400 organizations and groups across the country concerned about GE labeling. The time has come to secure a legacy of healthy food for our children for generations to come.
2) GET INVOLVED IN TALKING to candidates and policy makers at all levels of government during this 2012 election cycle. Share knowledge with them and your concerns about protecting organic foods; that quality farming is important to you; and, that you want mandatory labeling of all genetically engineered foods.
3) SUPPORT OUR POP CAMPAIGN EFFORTS – donate or call 415-999-9414 to participate in many other ways.
GMO Bills: Congressman Dennis Kucinich, Democrat from Ohio introduced three bills regarding genetically engineered foods and seeds – for viewing the complete bills, lease link to http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.php
H.R.3553: Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act – 19 Co-sponsors
H.R.3554: Genetically Engineered Safety Act – 3 Co-sponsors
H.R.3555: Genetically Engineered Technology Farmer Protection Act – 4 Co-sponsors
Colleague Letter for a Bicameral Letter to the FDA:
Congressman Peter Defazio and Senator Barbara Boxer sent a letter to their colleagues on February 9th asking them to sign onto a letter to the FDA, calling for the FDA to implement mandatory labeling., in alignment with a Citizens Petition submitted.
The following Senators have already signed on: Boxer (CA) Begich (AK) Tester (MT) and Wyden (OR) The following Representative have already signed the letter: DeFazio (OR) Hanna (R-NY) Pingree ME) Kucinich (OH) McGovern (MA) Moran (VA) Stark (CA) Farr (CA) George Miller (CA) and Polis (CO), Filner (CA).
The POP Campaign, with you, is reaching out to legislators, educating them on Genetically Engineered labeling issues and encouraging their signature on a bicameral letter with Senator Boxer and Congressman Defazio.
Click this link to see the letter:
Action Alert for another huge step towards freedom and health- the POP Campaign has been a strong advocate for Genetically Engineered labeling – we are asking everyone to contact their Senators and House of Representatives. Ask them to cosign this Bicameral Letter to the FDA “requesting” that the FDA mandate (GE) labeling of all food. (We will get all of the phone numbers up later.) We are working with the Just Label it Coalition and others on this effort – go team.